Wednesday, 14 September 2011

An eventful couple of weeks...

So since I last blooged it has been an eventful couple of weeks.

A while back (June!) I applied for a job with Tennis Australia to work at the Australian Open, the only thing I heard from them was that 2000 people had applied for the multiple workstreams and that they would let us know the outcome at some point in July/August. When it got to the end of August I was getting less hopeful but when I was on the train on the way home from a few drinks after work I got an email from them saying I had been shortlisted and that the group assessment was taking place on 6th September in Melbourne. So once home (having basically bounced all the way!) I booked my flight to Melbourne and spent much of the weekend very excited trying to tell anyone who would listen (including random people in restaurants!) what had happened...oh yeah I can keep my cool ;o)

The weekend between hearing about the job and going to the assessment centre was the start of the Brisbane Festival which commences with a fantastic fireworks display called Riverfire with display points on the top of buildings in the CBD, barges on the river and a number of bridges including the Story Bridge.

My lovely friend Renee and her partner Francis had invited us (me, DG & SP) round to their apartment block which has a view I am jealous of on normal occasions let alone on Riverfire night! So we went round with wine and nibblies for a night of fun and fireworks....little did we know that although this would be the case the night would take a bit of a turn. After oohing and aahing over the fireworks out on the balcony we were all chatting away and eating the yummy nibblies when I accidently threw some French Toast over the balcony (we were on the 11th floor) so we started joking around with the neighbours below and DG was handing them down her home-made pate when someone (can't remember who) noticed a bit of a commotion going on - a couple of ambulances and sadly quite a lot of blood. A man was lying on the floor being worked on by paramedics and very sadly for him and his family, after a good period of time, he lost his fight for life. It turns out he was one of 2 deaths from balcony falls that night but they haven't released any information about him.

I have seen dead bodies before (during my aborted attempt to be a nurse) but I have never seen someone lose their fight for life. 2 things stick out for me, 1 - I don't remember hearing any screams or the ambulances turning up and 2 - he was wearing socks....I don't know why those 2 facts stay with me but they are the ones that do.

Anyway, once the body had been taken away by the coroner we made our way home. A couple of drunken phone calls to family and friends later and it was time for bed - just as well I had been drinking as I don't think I would have slept very well. We all spent much of the next day in our rooms - quiet times and I tried to do some prep for my upcoming interview....not sure that I got anything done though!

On the Tuesday of that week I headed off to Melbourne for my interview thing. Arrived in Melbourne at lunch time and walked around for a while to get a feel for the place before getting a taxi to the hotel I was staying at that looked over the AO site. Quick shower and a change and off I went.

I arrived at the arena and got my name badge and photo taken and then it was inside for a brief presentation on the Open and the possible roles. It turns out there were about 400 applicants for the events role so I was very pleased to make it into the top 20! We were then split into 3 groups and had 2 activities. The first to build a tower as high as possible from 30 pieces of A4 paper and masking tape (we did pretty well and got about 1.5m!) and the second was a group interview where we were asked to sell ourselves and were then given a scenario and were asked to explain our approach. I don't think I did too badly and they have said 2 weeks until we hear anything so I hope to hear something by Tuesday next week.

Having said all that, and I can't believe I am actually saying this, but I am actually in 2 minds as to whether or not the job is suitable for me! I guess the 2 weeks works for both sides, for them to get references etc and for the candidate to decide whether they actually want it! I am still in the decision process as I am not sure I want to write off the rest of my year over here - I still have so much to see!! Will let you know when I make my decision!

After the assessment centre I was able to meet up with the lovely Jess for dinner. I met Jess on the tour I did of QLD in October and it was fab to catch up with her again. Very much looking forward to doing that again when she gets back from Canada!! We had a lovely evening of chatting and silliness before she (well her Dad) dropped me back at my hotel.

The next day was spend wandering around Melbourne - I absolutely adore it and can't wait to go back again at some point in the near future!!

Back in Brisbane life has been ticking along nicely, I finish work tomorrow at Smart Service Queensland (I have been organising a very well received conference on social media and its uses in government - I even had tweets congratulating me on such a good job!) and I head into the unknown world of temp work again!!

So as I said an eventful couple of weeks so I am heading off home for a nice glass of wine - have to get it in now as I am planning on starting the Dukan diet this weekend and no wine allowed for a few months....I don't think my body will know what has hit it!

No comments:

Post a Comment